Transition to Canvas New Quizzes
What is the timeline for the rollout of New Quizzes?IMPORTANT UPDATE! Instructure announced on December 17, 2021 that they are extending the option to use Classic Quizzes until June 30, 2024. This announcement means that BJU faculty who wish to continue using Classic Quizzes do not need to migrate to New Quizzes at this time. Instructors who do wish to transition to New Quizzes now are still welcome to do so. This web page will be updated with new information and resources as Instructure makes progress toward the 2024 goal.
What are some of the advantages of New Quizzes?For the instructor
- An improved settings interface that is more responsive and easier to understand
- A question navigator bar to help navigate long quizzes or tests.
- Some new question types (categorization, ordering, hot spot, stimulus)
- New question settings and grading options for some question types (for example, partial and full credit options, calculator options, and more fill in the blank options).
- Ability to add grading notes to essay questions (visible to all graders)
- Item bank sharing (question banks can be shared across courses and with other users—no need to copy from course to course)
- Quiz printing—Quizzes can be printed as paper assessments or as answer keys
- Quiz results printing—Individual quiz results can be printed.
- Improved student view settings/restrictions
- Waiting period option between multiple quiz attempts
- Moderate options for adding more time for a single quiz or adding a “time limit multiplier” for all quizzes for a specific student.
- Regrading feature
- Easy shuffling of all questions without creating a group
- Option to reopen a submitted attempt for a quiz that closed prematurely (if time still remains)
- An improved interface that is more responsive and precise
- A better quiz timer that stays visible at the top as the student scrolls down the page but can be hidden
- Better grading graphics and scoring information
What are some Current differences to note?Instructure is still working on adding some features to New Quizzes to align it more with Classic Quizzes, but here are some notable differences of which you should be aware.
- New Quizzes does not offer practice quiz and ungraded quiz options. (Workarounds exist.)
- Question banks do not currently migrate to Item Banks in New Quizzes.
- New Quizzes does not have a survey option. (Workaround: Microsoft Forms)
- The Rich Content Editor in New Quizzes does not support recording audio/video, content selector sidebar, and some formatting options. (All are scheduled to be included by transition.)
- Grading one question at a time is not available in SpeedGrader.
- It takes about 24 hours for Quiz and Item Analysis reports to be available.
- Student analysis and CSV download of reports is not available.
- Honorlock does not currently work with New Quizzes. (It is scheduled to work by transition).
- Respondus 4.0 question generator does not currently send to New Quizzes. (Workaround: Send to Classic Quizzes and migrate quiz to New Quizzes until fix is rolled out.)
- New Quizzes does not appear in the instructor’s to-do list.
- SpeedGrader for New Quizzes can only be accessed through Grades. (Workaround: In “Build” mode remove “display=full_width” from the end of the URL and press the Enter key to reveal the SpeedGrader button.)
- New Quizzes assessments cannot be locked in blueprint courses.
- A New Quizzes assessment in a module requires the student to click “Return” before they can see the “Next” button.
What features can you expect in the Future?
- CSV file download of reports (no target date given)
- Full blueprint course compatibility (target date – 6/2022)
- Partial credit for most question types (Matching now offers a “partial credit” selection.)
- Question bank migration tool along with bulk quiz migration tool for assessments created in Classic Quizzes (no target date)
- New Rich Content Editor (6/2022)
- Honorlock compatibility (6/2022)
What do you need to do?
- Start creating new assessments using the New Quizzes tool as soon as possible to decrease the amount of work you will need to do later. Information on how to create assessments is found in the guide, “How do I create a quiz using New Quizzes?”
- Begin migrating existing quizzes from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes. While Instructure may make tools available for doing this in bulk, you can begin the process now by following the steps in the Canvas guide, “How do I migrate a Canvas quiz to New Quizzes?”
NOTE: If you draw questions from a question bank in Classic Quizzes, the migration tool will not populate those questions. You may wish to wait until Instructure releases a migration tool for question banks. Instructure will be providing a way to migrate Question Banks from Classic Quizzes to Item Banks in New Quizzes. Currently, this is a manual process. For a guide (provided by Canvas Support), click here.
IMPORTANT! If you are teaching an online SCOPE course, please do not start creating assessments in New Quizzes or migrate your quizzes and tests to New Quizzes at this time. SCOPE staff will assist you with this transition.
- For a full list of New Quizzes guides created by Instructure, click here.
- For a video overview of New Quizzes, click here. (Some features have changed slightly since this video was recorded.)
How can you receive training for New Quizzes?
- Use the video playlist below for full training in New Quizzes.
- For specific questions, visit Technology Resources and talk to a full-time staff member.